
Helen, our skipper, captured above with Nick Crane

The following day Nic Mcleod, runner, and i were woken at a most unsociable hour of 6.00am to be taken to the top of Snowden. Luckily Babs had organised for us all to catch the train to the summit where another day of filming began. This section was about the running legs. We spent a total of 5hrs on top of snowden taking and retaking footage of Nic and I running with Nick Crane. He interviewed us on our preparation and motive for wanting to do the Three Peaks Yacht Race and we talked about nutrition, clothing and the mental stamina needed to succeed in such a demanding race.
Visibility was very poor and it was drizzling and didn't take long for us all to catch a real chill. As part of the mandatory kit we had to carry was the blizzard bag which Nick was very eager to try out (Pictured above). It was quite difficult to get him out of it and at one stage we joked about it being warmer if all three of us were to get in it - hopefully they will use that part on the BBC Coast programme!

After months and months of preparation we were finally away. Our sail out of Barmouth was perfect and we crossed the line way up the field. It was a great racing start and we piped most of the favourites to the line. (Pictured above it Adele, crew, helming on the first leg).
The race was a real mixed bag of weather, tides, emotions and physical stamina. We experienced some hours of perfect sailing conditions, a nice force 5 off the beam, but also encountered more frustrating times of sailing against the tide with no wind. This meant even rowing at 90% max was not enough to stop us moving backwards. We probably ended up rowing over half of the race so all five of us now have some very conditions abs and shoulders. Rowing a 4tonne sailing boat against tide traveling at 3knots is no mean feat.
The running legs were tough. I have been really disappointed as I had trained hard for these but i made a very simple mistake early on which cost us the first two mountains. On route to Snowden we averaged a speed of 13.2km along the 13k stretch of road leading to the rangers path.
Moving at that pace meant that I was running almost at my 10K pace which in turn depleted all of my energy stored and built up such high levels of lactic acid in my legs that when we reached the mountain I had nothing left. Climbing Snowden then felt like I was moving in altitude. The 14k road run back was even worse and I experienced incredible pain and energy lows. The leg took us 4hrs 37mins.The next running leg began with a cycle to Ennerdale which Nic and I completed in a really good time. Road bikes are definitely the only option here. We cycled hard. As we transferred to the running section, about 6hrs of ascending and descending, my energy lows returned and the lactic acid build up had not cleared. Again it was a tough run and the fact that the temperature was soring and there was just no wind, even on the top of the mountains made it even more testing. 

On our return bike leg we suffered 3 punctures but we we quick to resolve them and flew back at speed of 40kph. We completed the leg in about 8hrs55.
Back to the temperamental weather conditions we were sailing, rowing, going forwards, going backwards and we even considered dropping anchor at some points. There was a lot of luck as we played swings and roundabouts with the other boats. It was amazing that after 4/5 days of sailing we were still within a few hours of each other. We were constantly trying to read the winds and tides and make tactical manoeuvres. We optimised the use of eddies and the minute the wind dropped we were on the oars rowing our hearts out. The five of us didn't stop for a minute and we rotate out jobs. our sleeping was erratic as we were all so eager to be on deck trimming sails. We got on amazingly well and formed a really good bond and learned from each other constantly. We certainly didn't skimp on food and filled ourselves with gourmet meals that we had prepared before setting sail. By this stage we all had rosy sun blushed faces but this didn't hide the fact that none of us had washed for a good few days and our boat looked more like it had been crewed by 5 men rather than 5 young ladies!
It was almost 36hr before our Ben Nevis run and I was determined to do this one well. I was well rested and had fed my body almost constantly over the last few days. Nic and i once more set off, but this time I was not struggling. We bounded along the road for the first 6k and a nice steady pace and for the first time i was able to hold a conversation with her. As we hit the mountain and began the climb I was still powering along. We got to the steepest part of the climb just above red burn and went straight up as opposed to along the zig zags. I got stronger and stronger as I led the way and we flew to the summit in 2hrs19. We knew that a pair of elite fell runners had started 4minutes behind us in Corpach and by now were determined that they would not overtake us. We hurled ourselves down the mountain at times reaching 18kph. As we hit the road Nic said to me 'lets hammer the first k then we've got it in the bag'. The whole descend we could feel them about 20m behind us so we didn't let up for a second. The 6k road run back we ran so hard we didn't even get a chance to look back. I was pushing so hard that I even mistook the red bull that Jude, our shore crew, had handed me for water and threw it all over my face! We completed the leg in 3hrs51mins. They did not over take us and we even managed to overtake another team about half a k before the finish.
For me this run made the race. I'd been very disappointed by the previous 2 runs as it was all due to mis-managing my bodies' ability early on in the race. I've learned a very important lesson.
We finished thirteenth overall after 5 days and nights of sailing, running, cycling and rowing and celebrated our success with champagne into the early hours of Friday morning.
