Welcome to the Team Odlo UK website.

On this website you will find information on the races we are competing in, the expeditions we are doing and how to get in touch with us.

My name is Maria Leijerstam. I'm an expeditioner and adventure racer and have competed in challenges all over the world.

This is our second year racing as Team Odlo UK and we have a very exciting calendar of races lined up for 2010.

I'd like to thank Odlo UK as well as all of our other sponsors for providing us with kit, clothing and gadgets!

Maria & Zoe 1st placed Female Pair in the Keswick Open5+

Tuesday, 1 September 2009

Coast to Coast Race Report

Apart from feeling like I've been beaten up and in a complete world of my own, I have actually had one of the best weekends of the year!

Coming 2nd in this 30hr, 4 day adventure race across Great Britain has filled my with an amazing sense of achievement.

 Running around St Bees Head

Myself and over 100 other competitors raced from Whitehaven on the West Coast to Robin Hood Bay on the East Coast, taking in the highest mountains on route by foot, paddling our way across the Waters of the Lake District and crossing the Yorkshire Dales by bike.

Day one began at a very sociable hour of 10.00am with a 12k coastal run from Whitehaven to St Bees Head. Hilly but beautiful I was at the first transition in sub an hour where Emma (my support crew) was well prepared with my bike and resupplies for the next leg, a 27k bike over the Western Lakes. My transition was fast but as soon as I was on my way I took a wrong turn since I had not yet orientated my map. Luckily it only took me a few minutes to figure I was on the wrong road and as soon as I corrected my mistake I was flying along the small lanes and into the third transition before I knew it.

The next stage was almost comical. It began with a paddle the length of Crummock. The wind had picked up and we were warned to stay close to the Western shore not to experience too many gusts. I was racing so the straight line I took. At one stay the gusts were so strong it blew my paddle right out of my hand. I had to work hard to stay upright and being alone on the lake it was at times a little daunting. As soon as I arrived at the edge of the lake I had caught up with a few others and it was here that the fun (or not so much fun at the time) began - THE PORTAGE.

I scrambled out of my boat and furiously attached the portage trolley to the kayak. I grabbed the handle on the boat and started running. Within second the wheels fell off so I rearranged the bungees and tried again. Once again the wheels fell off. I looked around the corner and realised that in fact it would not be possible to wheel the kayak and hence resorted to carrying my 28Kg kayak over rocks and through bogs. After about 10 mins a hit a grassy field and decided that I should give the wheels another go, once again I managed about 2m's at a time before they fell off. The funny thing was that the others that I was with were having exactly the same problem so that as soon as one of us fixed ourselves up and began to run with a smug face the wheels would fall off. Next I had to negotiate a very small path along a stream followed by a car park full off cars. I literally picked the boat up and threw it over the style only to miss a very posh looking car by about a foot. I was now on the road and had only a few hundred meters to go. I gave the wheels one last try and this time it worked. I ran happily down the road with my kayaking bobbing along behind. 

As I reached the shore of the next lake, Buttermere, the wind had eased slightly and this paddle was fabulous.

I was glad to get rid of my boat at the next transition and on with the running shoes. Hail was falling and it was very blustery as I fought my way up to Robinson, then down Cat Bells for 
the final section the Swim across Derwent water. I flew across the water in my wet suit in less than 7 minutes and then the final run into Keswick town centre was somewhat of a spectacle as onlookers wandered why I was tearing around in a wetsuit trying to find the finish line! Day 1 I finished way up the leader board and was able to retire to the comfort our our youth hostel with a smile on my face.






Swim across Derwent Water

Day 2 began around 7am with a road cycle to Thirlmere. I cycled hard and fast and over took a number of others but only to miss the turning and cycle an extra 4k! I arrived at the transition furious with myself for having missed the turning but as soon as I saw my kayak I re focused at the job in hand.







Paddle across Thirlmere Water

The boat I was using was a big old plastic bath tube that only wanted to go left! This really didn't help and I had to dig really deep to keep up a good speed. My left side was in pieces after this 1hr30min non stop paddle, however as I arrive at the transition Emma informed me that I was only minutes behind Nicola. How I managed to paddle faster than Nicola in a Surfski I'II never know!

The next stage was a run over Helvelyn. I was adamant to make this a good one so I focused and pushed with every step. As I descended off the mountain I really let myself go and managed to arrive at the next transition at the same time as Nicola. The next kayak was really long, the whole length of Ullswater. I had hoped that my centreboard would have been fixed that would help me keep in a straight line but it hadn't and so I endured another 2hrs of left side paddling. The wind was very strong as I watched others capsize. I made a real mistake not to drink during this paddle and so when I reached the other side I was completed out of energy. I had a long 47k bike to do before the end of the day. In transition I ate some proper food and drank some electrolyte and within 4 minutes I was on my bike.

Once again my navigation slowed me down as I cycled an extra 12k due to bad route choice. Still I came in second and was rather pleased with the result.

Into the Yorkshire Dales the day began with a run from Kirby Stephens over Nine Standards. Having made so many navigational mistakes I was 100% focused today and as I set off, I ran at a slightly slower speed ensuring that I checked off each and every feature as I ran past. The run was muddy but the sun was shining and it was a delight to be out in the country. Again I ran along for the first 50minutes and just below the summit as I was over taking a few other teams someone over took me. The run off nine standards was fast and furious. I pushed really hard and held a good place up amongst the lads.

As I ran into transition I was focusing on the next leg so that I could make my transition fast. Again I ate some food, banana, pasta, pancakes put my bike shoes on and in under 3 minutes I was away on my bike. This phase was a Mtb phase so we road over mountain tracks and across some very muddy paths. At Swaledale the transition was at a beautiful Castle, although time for viewing was not at the forefront of my mind. I did however have to change from my nobbly tyres to some slicks which would allow me to ride at greater speed on the road. With the help of Willow and Emma the tyres were changed and I was quickly on my way. It was at this transition that I saw Nicola and we raced off together on the road. This cycle through the Vale of York to Northallerton was beautiful and as I navigated my way without mistake I arrived at the end to a cheering support team. Day 3 was over and only one more remained.
 Finish of Day 3

The next day began at 5.30am with a continuation of the cycle through the vale of york. I set off at great speed again and as I was nearing Swainby for my first transition I took a very nasty fall on the road. The road was steep and I had not for forseen the very sharp bend coming up. With my slicks on I had little grip on the road and when the back tyre began to swerve as I slammed the breaks on I though it best to try and ride the corner so as I lent into the corner the bike flew from underneath me and I bounced along the road. I lay in shock for about 10mins. Luckily I was still mobile and so I scrapped myself off the road and peddled very slowly into transition. My support team saw that I was badly in shock but I wanted to keep moving and get onto the next stage so before I knew it I had my running trainers on and after some quick refuelling I was off on the run over Carlton Bank. I jogged very slowly to begin with and could really feel my hip and elbow hurting. I took some painkillers and tried to up my pace. It was only when I returned home that my doctor advise me of a suspected fractured hip bone!
Running over Carlton Bank

The run took over 2hrs and then it was back onto the bike for a long hard push against the wind across the North Yorkshire Moors. I spent a lot of time on my own here which was tough. As I descended into the Esk Valley I joined a few other teams . I decided that I would not stop at the next transition and instead push through so I was in and out of that transition in less than 10 seconds. My energy levels were very low but I knew that I always had extra reserves so once again dug deep. This was possibly the most difficult leg of all. The wind was against me and the hills were mean. I put my head down and cycled hard counting each rotation to try and make the time pass. As I joined the disused railway line I was passed by a few guys but managed to muster up some final energy to cycle hard into the finish. 

The race was over and I had come 2nd Solo Female. I was 19th overall out of the 44 teams which was an amazing achievement.